Dickinson County Healthcare System
The Dickinson County Healthcare System (DCHS) seeks a Financial Care Counselor to join their team of 600 committed staff members in Iron Mountain, Michigan.
This is a full-time, weekday (no weekends) position. The ideal person for this position is a patient, extremely organized professional experienced in a hospital or healthcare business environment relating to patient access.
This position reports to the Patient Access Manager.
- Perform clerical/administrative work including reviewing patient visits for billing, verify eligibility and benefits, collect insurance information, pre-authorize, collect co-pay and deductibles as needed, communicate patient financial responsibility, initiate uncompensated care or other third-party payers, update patient financial and demographic data.
- Provide patients and physician offices with estimations of services and/or charges.
- Provide hospital departments with explanation of insurance benefits, limitations and authorization guidelines, as needed.
- Process and report financial information using computerized systems.
- Proactively communicate with patients, physicians and staff to resolve outstanding revenue cycle issues (i.e. pre-authorization, medical necessity).
- Assist in development/implementation/testing of new systems, software, policies and training.
- Assist department manager with clerical and administrative work related to patient access operations (scheduling, staffing, charges, education, training).
- Follow policies, procedures, directives and compliance standards established by hospital and supervising staff.
WAGE/BENEFITS. Starting pay of $34,216 – $49,608 annually based on years of experience. In addition, we offer medical, dental, vision, pension plan, paid time off (sick, vacation), and life insurance.
MINIMUM AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS.
- Degree or certification in health information or healthcare access or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a directly related field preferred.
- 3 years’ experience in a healthcare or hospital business environment preferred; knowledge of revenue cycle, charging and collection practices, admissions, discharges, transfers, medical necessity, compliance and third-party billing a bonus.
- Proficiency with computers and basic office software (MS Word, Excel) including experience with health information management systems.
- Knowledge of medical terminology required; successful candidate may be required to pass a medical terminology and/or data entry test.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Exceptional customer service skills with a professional demeanor that ensures trust, competence and compassion amongst patients and team members.
- Ability to successfully pass a pre-hire drug screening and background check.
INTERESTED? Submit your application for employment by clicking the APPLY link below.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION. DCHS has been named a 2020 Top 100 Rural & Community Hospital by The Chartis Center for Rural Health. This annual award honoring rural hospital performance is determined by the results of iVantage Health Analytics’ Hospital Strength INDEX®, which is celebrating its tenth anniversary in 2020. Learn more at dchs.org