UPPCO seeks an experienced Substation Technician to join our team in Houghton, Michigan. If you’re mechanically and electrically inclined and able to perform electrical maintenance, construct substation and generation control equipment, and work under general supervision, consider joining our team!
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Starting wage of $38.42 – $40.34 per hour, based on education and experience, in addition to a comprehensive benefit package.
SCHEDULE. This position typically works five, eight-hour days and requires an ability to work overtime and respond to call-outs when needed; some overnight travel to work out of town may occur.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SUBSTATION TECHNICIAN.
- Install/test/calibrate/maintain system controls, protective relay systems, various metering equipment.
- Prepare minor field designs to modify instrument and control circuitry.
- Analyze and correct system malfunctions.
- Follow safe work practices and procedures at all times.
- Prepare/organize work assignments by obtaining required tools, materials, equipment instruction bulletins, drawings; contact appropriate people to carry out assignments; study bulletins/information to keep abreast of new technical developments; report job progress/developments to supervisor.
- Ensure accurate testing of instrument/control equipment by testing and verifying new instrumentation, control installations and protective relay systems; devise new equipment tests/procedures as necessary; fabricate new test equipment as necessary; maintain shop facilities and test equipment.
- Maintain necessary documents and complete paperwork (record/prepare reports on tests, calibrations and equipment maintenance; record field designs/revisions on drawings, records, cable schedules.
- Perform substation inspections as directed and forward information to supervisor including perform a visual inspection of substation equipment, structures, building and grounds; record protective relay target information; record equipment operation counter data; document operational data.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS AN UPPCO SUBSTATION TECHNICIAN.
- Associates degree in Electrical Technology or directly related discipline, or equivalent military training.
- 4 years’ experience in general construction, operation and maintenance of electrical substation and associated equipment including experience in electrical power system/substation equipment testing, SCADA and control/communication systems.
- Thorough knowledge of electricity and related systems/diagrams, solid state circuitry, and electromechanical circuits.
- Willingness to actively participate in training programs to advance knowledge/skill level and provide on-the-job training for lower classification substation personnel.
- Proficiency with electrical testing equipment, hand tools and computers, required.
- Ability to respond to call-ins and work additional hours including evenings, holidays, weekends, as needed.
- Possess clear & effective verbal/written communication skills w/solid analytical & problem-solving skills.
- Are physically able to perform the functions of this job which include frequently lifting and/or carrying 50 lbs., reaching above shoulders, crawling, kneeling, bending, climbing, having hand-eye coordination, vision in both eyes, ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of color, able to hear, and medically cleared/properly groomed to wear respiratory protection.
- Ability to work in an indoor shop/plant environment, outdoors with exposure to all types of weather conditions (deep snow, ice, rain, mud, wind, hot, humid, etc.), working with chemicals (solvents, degreasing agents, grease, oil, etc.), high voltage electrical energy and construction hazards.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and able to attain/maintain a Class A CDL (commercial driver’s license) with air brake and HAZMAT endorsements within 4 months of hire date.
- Must reside within 30 minutes of Houghton, Michigan jobsite.
INTERESTED? Apply online below.
To apply for this job please visit app.keysurvey.com.