UPPCO seeks an experienced System Operations Supervisor to join their team in Ishpeming, Michigan.
This position is primarily responsible, either directly or through communications with others, for UPPCO’s real-time 24/7 electric operations that is interconnected to the Bulk Electric System. The successful candidate will be directly responsible for ensuring that electrical operating procedures and processes provide a safe and reliable environment for customers, employees and the public. This position works on a 12-hour rotating shift schedule and requires the successful candidate be able to respond to call-ins and work additional hours, holidays and/or weekends when workload demands necessitate this. This position reports to the Manager-System Operations Center.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Competitive salary, based on your knowledge and experience, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Relocation assistance available.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SYSTEM OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR.
System & Generation Operations:
- Oversee real-time remote operations of UPPCO’s Substation, Distribution and Generation facilities.
- Interpret System Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) data and other system information to analyze events/system conditions to formulate appropriate actions during system emergencies.
- Direct proper system operation of UPPCO electric systems to ensure safety, reliability & efficiency.
- Assess conditions and communicate with/direct field crews during equipment restoration actions.
- Develop, plan, and write switching procedures for the company’s response to unplanned work and system emergencies in concurrence with operations and engineering personnel.
- Direct field personnel for switching and protective carding on UPPCO facilities.
- Maintain documentation of planned and emergency switching procedures.
- Coordinate planned outages w/American Transmission Co. (ATC) that affect UPPCO electric system assets.
- Assist, in collaboration with ATC, to ensure operating guides are valid and can be enacted as written.
- Direct company personnel in following operating policies/procedures to comply with federal/state regulators and national/regional reliability authorities and other agencies.
- Coordinate regularly w/UPPCO electric system operations, management & engineering regarding reliability studies and standards development/compliance, FERC Standards & emergency operating procedures.
- Respond to Operating ATC or MISO Instructions; communicate/direct field personnel to take action.
- Direct local operators at generation facilities to ensure appropriate generation response to meet NERC Standards: manual re-dispatch instructions including unit starts for reducing congestion and/or reducing load shedding risks.
- Respond to activities associated with deployment of generation resources as requested by the MISO Balancing Authority or ATC.
- Comply with/adhere to utility industry, NERC, MISO, MPSC and FERC standards & operating protocols.
- Provide emergency and non-emergency dispatch of electric trouble events to field responders.
- Responsible for after-hours customer call answering and UPPCO field crew dispatch.
- Efficient incoming/outgoing/dispatch communications with site employees by radio, computer, phone; call technical personnel for special problems; provide clear, professional communications over radio/phone; update Public Affairs, local supervision, Account Executives of trouble situations.
- Work with UPPCO call center personnel in handling emergency/customer outage communications.
- Manage trouble events and record field responder activities using Outage Management System to organize/prioritize/manage trouble events; ping meters to determine if customer has electricity at meter; update estimated repair times.
- Collect closure information for electric & gas events; pass on follow-up information to local sites.
- Monitor weather reports from multiple sources; implement storm procedures by calling in additional personnel; advise supervision of high volume; send weather alerts over radio system; 24X7 real-time security monitoring of hydro/generation facilities via camera system.
- Dispatch and request emergency locates.
- Monitor e-mail, printer, phones, fax machine, computer, telecom/radio system and site camera/video for reporting, malfunctions and dispatch.
- Assist with company security procedures (threat reporting, site access).
- Records messages pertaining to specific power outages.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS AN UPPCO SYSTEM OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Technology or similarly named discipline, preferred.
- 3 years’ experience in electric utility outage coordination, field operations and/or switching procedures required.
- 3 years’ experience in electric utility operations preferred.
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience.
- Ability to attain NERC System Operator certification within 1 year of hire.
- Proficiency with computers including working knowledge of Word and Excel, required.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work a 12-hour rotating schedule and be able to respond to call-ins and work additional hours including evenings, holidays, weekends, as needed.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel overnight, occasionally and as required.
- Must reside within 30 minutes of Ishpeming System Operations Center jobsite.
INTERESTED? Apply online below.
ABOUT US. UPPCO is a regulated electric utility delivering safe, reliable energy to about 54,000 customers in 10 counties of Michigan’s pristine Upper Peninsula. Our assets include 7 hydroelectric renewable energy generation facilities that also offer public recreational opportunities on land and water, 2 combustion turbines providing a total generation capacity of approximately 80 megawatts, 3,300 miles of electric distribution lines, and 58 distribution substations. Learn more at uppco.com.